System Administration and Self-Hosting 101
want to host a workshop on self-hosting
at IndiaFOSS 3.0.
The workshop will demonstrate how selfhosting works, the benefits of selfhosting, and some hands-on with a VPS, showcasing setup of a few popular selfhosted services and self-hosting tools, while teaching basic system administration along the way.
- Why should you self-host?
- What can you self-host?
- Where to self-host?
- ssh, mosh and byobu/tmux
- DNS (maybe setting up your own authoritative one if we get the time)
- Deploying static website using Caddy
- Transferring files with rsync/sftp/scp
- Setting up dynamic websites with caddy and systemd
- Monitoring with htop/btop/iotop
- Monitoring dashboard with grafana/prometheus
- docker and docker-compose
- Setting up your own Gitea instance using docker (which will also use grafana)
- Converting the same dynamic website to Docker (using registries and Dockerfile)
- Setting up your own Vaultwarden instance using docker
- Familiarity with Linux and shell
- Some familiarity with web and DNS
- A laptop with ssh installed (so windows 10+, macos, linux)
Time needed: ~3-4 hours