Proposed by: Badri Sunderarajan
Prav: reclaiming our choice of service providers
- The modern-day messaging ecosystem is fragmented: one has to be on a specific platform to chat with users on that platform.
- However, this doesn't have to be, and was not always, the case.
- The XMPP standard allows you to create a messaging platform without vendor lock-in.
- Today's XMPP providers are not very popular due to a number of reasons, but apps like Quicksy provide a solution.
- Prav uses the XMPP standard, but will also be registered as a cooperative society so that future decisions are not "top down" from a company but decided together as a community.
Source code/Reference: https://prav.app